Long plane rides can be a daunting experience for even the most seasoned traveler. However, with a little preparation and some helpful tips, you can make the most of your journey and arrive at your destination feeling refreshed and ready to explore. In this article, we've compiled 49 travel tips for long plane rides that cover everything from packing to in-flight entertainment, so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.
49 Travel Tips for Long Flights:
- Choose the Right Seat:
- If you have the option to choose your seat, try to select a window seat for a better view and more control over lighting and temperature. If you prefer more legroom, consider selecting an emergency exit row seat or upgrading to premium economy or business class.
- Dress Comfortably: Wear loose-fitting, breathable clothing and comfortable shoes to avoid feeling restricted during the flight.
- Bring a Neck Pillow: A neck pillow can help you sleep more comfortably during the flight and prevent neck strain.
- Bring Earplugs or Noise-Cancelling Headphones: Block out the sounds of crying babies, snoring passengers, and engine noise with earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones.
- Bring an Eye Mask: An eye mask can help block out light and make it easier to sleep on the plane.
- Bring a Warm Layer: Airplanes can get chilly, so bring a warm layer like a sweater or jacket.
- Pack a Travel Blanket: A travel blanket can keep you warm and cozy during the flight.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water before, during, and after the flight to avoid dehydration.
- Avoid Alcohol and Caffeine: Alcohol and caffeine can dehydrate you and disrupt your sleep, so it's best to avoid them during the flight.
- Pack Healthy Snacks: Pack healthy snacks like nuts, fruit, and granola bars to avoid unhealthy airport food and stay energized during the flight.
- Bring Chewing Gum or Mints: Chewing gum or sucking on mints can help relieve ear pressure during takeoff and landing.
- Use a Face Mist or Moisturizer: Airplanes can dry out your skin, so use a face mist or moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated.
- Bring Medications: Pack any necessary medications in your carry-on luggage and make sure you have enough for the entire trip.
- Bring Entertainment: Bring books, magazines, movies, or podcasts to keep yourself entertained during the flight.
- Use a Travel Pillow: A travel pillow can provide additional comfort and support during the flight.
- Stretch: Stand up and stretch every few hours to improve circulation and prevent blood clots.
- Do In-Seat Exercises: Do in-seat exercises like ankle circles, shoulder shrugs, and leg lifts to prevent stiffness and improve circulation.
- Use Compression Socks: Compression socks can help improve circulation and prevent swelling in your feet and legs.
- Avoid Crossed Legs: Crossing your legs can restrict blood flow and increase the risk of blood clots, so avoid this position for extended periods.
- Use Eye Drops: Airplanes can dry out your eyes, so use eye drops to keep them lubricated.
- Bring a Reusable Water Bottle: Bring a reusable water bottle and fill it up after passing through security to stay hydrated during the flight.
- Download Offline Maps: Download offline maps of your destination
- Charge Your Devices: Make sure your phone, tablet, and laptop are fully charged before boarding the plane.
- Bring a Portable Charger: Bring a portable charger to ensure you have enough battery power throughout the flight.
- Pack a Pen: You may need to fill out customs forms, so bring a pen in your carry-on luggage.
- Bring a Travel Adapter: If you're traveling internationally, bring a travel adapter to ensure you can charge your devices in the country you're visiting.
- Use Noise-Cancelling Apps: If you don't have noise-cancelling headphones, use a noise-cancelling app to block out unwanted sounds.
- Set Your Watch: Set your watch to the time at your destination to help you adjust to the new time zone.
- Avoid Sleeping Pills: Sleeping pills can disrupt your sleep cycle and leave you feeling groggy, so it's best to avoid them.
- Book a Night Flight: If possible, book a night flight to help you sleep during the flight and adjust to the new time zone.
- Bring a Deck of Cards: Bring a deck of cards to play games with your travel companions during the flight.
- Use Face Wipes: Use face wipes to freshen up during the flight and remove excess oil and dirt from your skin.
- Bring an Empty Water Bottle: Bring an empty water bottle and ask a flight attendant to fill it up during the flight.
- Pack a Portable Fan: A portable fan can help you stay cool during the flight and combat stuffiness.
- Wear Sunglasses: If you're sensitive to light, wear sunglasses during the flight to reduce glare.
- Practice Deep Breathing: Deep breathing exercises can help you relax and reduce stress during the flight.
- Listen to White Noise: Listening to white noise can help you block out distracting sounds and fall asleep more easily.
- Pack a Sleep Mask: A sleep mask can help block out light and make it easier to sleep on the plane.
- Bring Hand Sanitizer: Bring hand sanitizer to keep your hands clean and avoid germs during the flight.
- Use a Travel Wallet: Use a travel wallet to keep your passport, boarding pass, and other important documents organized and easily accessible.
- Bring a Travel Pillowcase: Bring a travel pillowcase to cover the airline pillow and avoid contact with germs.
- Wear Compression Leggings: Compression leggings can help improve circulation and prevent swelling in your legs.
- Bring a Travel Journal: Bring a travel journal to record your thoughts and memories during the flight.
- Pack a Headphone Splitter: A headphone splitter allows you to share audio with a travel companion.
- Bring a Sleep Aid: If you have trouble sleeping on planes, consider bringing a natural sleep aid like melatonin.
- Use a Meditation App: A meditation app can help you relax and reduce anxiety during the flight.
- Bring a Portable Humidifier: A portable humidifier can help add moisture to the air and prevent dryness.
- Use the Lavatory Wisely: Use the lavatory when necessary to avoid dehydration and use hand sanitizer after touching surfaces.
- Stay Positive: Stay positive and keep a good attitude during the flight. Remember, the journey is part of the adventure!
With these 49 travel tips for long flights, you'll be able to make the most of your journey and arrive at your destination feeling refreshed and ready to explore. Whether you're a seasoned traveler or a first-time flyer, these tips will help you stay comfortable, entertained, and healthy during your flight.
Remember to pack your carry-on bag strategically, wear comfortable clothing, and stay hydrated throughout the flight. Use noise-cancelling headphones or apps, bring a travel pillow and blanket, and practice relaxation techniques to help you sleep on the plane.
Don't forget to bring snacks, books, and entertainment to keep you occupied during the flight. Use the lavatory when necessary and keep your hands clean with hand sanitizer.
With these tips in mind, you can have a stress-free and enjoyable long plane ride. Happy travels!